Monday, October 27, 2014

My Lake Hodges 50k race review

Hi guys :) sorry it has been about a week since my last post but Jack and I had a really bad cold. I was actually looking forward to Sundays run when I was sick because there is nothing like a long run to clear you up. So Sunday morning the Hodges 50k started at 7am. That is such a good time to start a race because you can have  everything done by 7am. I had breakfast and I didn't forget anything. (that is a big deal for me ) I parked on the street and walked about a block to the start line. The weather was perfect. Not to cold not to hot. I saw a bunch of people I knew and that is always nice. I like hearing familiar voices. Specially the Oh Hi Gloria so glad your here.. Always nice.

We took of at 7am and the race director Jesse gave us a good morning send of with some directions and off we went. I have to say that everyone was really nice. Saying good morning and how are you ? Here and there. I felt good and I was excited to be able to run a 50k locally and actually because the weather was so great I was really looking forward to running so close to my house. Right after I took this picture I saw my friend Jeff running out there too. So that was an excellent surprise. 

I did not listen to my music for about 15 miles. I was really trying to work on having my breathing in control and good posture. I find when I run relaxed I can run farther . That's what we want people.. Long easy runs that don't hurt. The only thing that bothered me was my right knee and that's where I fell a while ago.  The scenery was beautiful and it was a flat race. I found out flat and cool was okay with me.

I ran behind this girl for a while she had a good pace and good form. Those are things I always work on. 

I did not stop at any aid stations . I had my Camel back with me and it was full of water and Trailwind with caffeine. I love caffeine. I did grab some bananas but quickly ran away. I am finding my body really likes bananas when I run.

I promised myself I could listen to some Dave Mathews after mile 15 and I did and it was good it helped me think about other stuff.. I honestly felt great the entire time. I prayed and I felt like my heart was so full of gratitude.. I got to be outside and I felt good and I was running. All things that make me happy. 
Around mile 27 I knew I needed to just push and not walk at all.  Its difficult in my mind when I see other people walk to not really want to walk. I only walked up Raptor Ridge because there was so many people walking I had no choice but in all reality there is no way I could run up that hill anyway. (one day ) after I came down I just played the game. 
 I kept finding the next person in front of me and try to catch them. That's always a fun way to keep yourself motivated. I got new glasses too. I could se everything clearly. That was nice too.

Here I am almost done. This is me being a total dork and saying hi to my dad. I wore orange and black for Halloween and I was really happy the whole time. My mantra was  Don't stop trying G. 

It took me 5:45 minutes. Not bad hu.. Last time I ran a 50k it took me about 7 hours so I did way better. Mike and Jack were also waiting for me. I was very happy with my time but most importantly my experience was awesome. I highly recommend this 50k. Its put on by Off road pursuits and the director is also an Ultra Runner. Really nice guy and the entire race went really well. 

The winner did it in 3:40. Crazy fast times. I saw the winner running and he was just flying by and it looked so easy for him. Love that. So here I am my medal my new glasses and me. 

Jack likes my pint glass and we had Subway and a bunch of good food after the race too. I am so thankful for my health and that I am able to run races like this. Its also nice to have my family waiting for me at the end. What I learned this weekend is you just have to keep trying and not give up. Oh and my cold is gone. See running is good for your health it made my cold go away…Happy Trails Peeps..

Post a Comment