Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

5 more days

This is me 5 years ago. I am running my second marathon..The Rock and Roll. I was very happy not knowing anything about time or what was expected. I was proud to tell people I ran a marathon in 5:17 minutes. I felt like I had accomplished the impossible. I held my satellite radio the whole time just like that I had one arm up in the air ..I am sure it hurt but I was on cloud 9. I ran this one with team in training. I ran it for my first husband Roger. I had his picture behind my bib and when I would get tired I looked at him. It was a great way to remember him and give to a great cause. I ran this whole race for him. I guess that's why I was so happy because I was so in love with him. He was a good husband to me. I think I was a great wife too..
I totally got off the subject..My point is that I love this stage of life when we don't know if we are good or bad we just love what we do. I guess starting a hobbie is so much fun because we get super excited just like little girls. We are so proud of what we are doing and we want to share it..We want show our friends. It kind of sucks that we grow out of that stage ..That just like me with running now I want to make it official. I want to qualify. I know there is a way to find a happy medium. I think that would be to play along the way, not to forget to be present for the journey. To do it because we love it. Sometimes when we forget why we are doing it. Thats when we need to stop and try hard to get our center back. Life is to short to be serious all the time. We need to be like little girls as often as we can. We need to do things we love and that we feel passionate about..Why? because it will keep us young at heart and allow us to keep that little girl in all of us alive.

5 comments:

K8 said...

oh this post brought tears to my eyes for so many reasons! will you be running with this picture of yourself (and your husband's) this time? thank you for reminding me that I don't need to be so serious all the time...I've been exhausting myself trying to figure out what kind of creative career I am meant to have...rather than enjoying the ride. I just know that you will qualify! so exciting! would love to see a playlist that keeps you going... :)

Todd said...

As you know I just completed my first tri. People kept asking me what my goal time was. One guy insisted I should shoot for sub 3 hours.

But I didn't have a goal time. Based on my training pace I figured I'd finish in roughly 3:15. But it was not a goal. I didn't want to be disappointed and second guessing myself after it was over.

I think that's important. You and I are not going to win. So what's the big deal about a few minutes or a PR. I'm not getting any younger so why do I expect to always get faster?

Race day is such a unique experience and that's what should be celebrated, not whether an arbitrary time is hit.

I did have a goal actually. I wanted to have enough energy left at the end to sprint to the finish line. And I did so.

I finished in 3:06 btw. My coworker with the 3 hour goal was chatting with me the next day and discussing how I could have made 3:00 if only... I just chuckled and let him have at it. I already had fun and met my goal.

patty said...

My goodness, Gloria, I love this post and what you are saying about passion. So, so true - I totally believe that that's the fuel that keeps us going. As long as we can keep passion in our lives, we are going to be OK! Best wishes on your run - I can't wait to hear about it! Go, Gloria!!

Kristin Dudish said...

What a wonderful post... So true in all aspects of our lives.

Wishing you balance and joy as you run your 7th marathon :)

marilyn said...

your passion just explodes from your body, little bird! you have wings on your feet and in your soul. i hope you fly....